Is There Such a Thing As Too Much BOTOX®?
BOTOX® injections are one of the most popular treatments at our Fort Worth, Texas, practice — as they are throughout the U.S. The treatment is extremely safe and minimizes wrinkles around the eyes and on the forehead, creating a more youthful and refreshed appearance. But it’s important to choose an experienced injector who understands that sometimes less is more.
So, what are the tell-tale signs that your injector overdid it with the BOTOX? That’s what I’ll address in this post. At our practice, our skilled injectors know how to find the sweet spot that produces results that improve a patient’s appearance and still looks natural. Because BOTOX is so popular among both men and women, just about every salon and spa now offer injections. Unfortunately, not all injectors have adequate training or experience. This is where problems arise; patients leave looking unnatural—or even cartoonish. These unskilled injectors create the horror stories sometimes associated with BOTOX. Finding a well-established provider should be your first step in your facial rejuvenation journey.
Here are a few ways to tell if you’ve gone a little overboard:
- Frozen face: This is probably the biggest fear of women and men considering BOTOX treatments. They want reduced wrinkles, but they don’t want to compromise their facial expressions.
- Surprised face: This complication causes your eyebrows to be elevated, making you look surprised all the time.
- Droopy and Heavy Forehead: Patients experience this when an injector is not conservative enough or don’t make the injections with the necessary precision. Injections must be precisely placed to get the desired results.
- True eyelid droop: This can occur when too much BOTOX is injected around the eye, which can affect the muscles that lift the eyebrow or the muscles that lift the eyelid.
- Lop-sided facial features or smile: Experienced injectors assess a patient’s specific facial features before performing BOTOX treatments. They understand one size doesn’t fit all when it comes to injections. When that’s not done, the injections may produce results that look lopside or otherwise unnatural.
If you recently had BOTOX injections and aren’t happy with the results, the effects should disappear after about 4 months. If you are considering BOTOX for the first time, or you are unhappy with your current provider, we encourage you to take a look at our before & after photos and schedule a consultation. And in the meantime, you can read what patients have said about us.